Why Wear a Compression Garment
after Body Contouring Surgery?
By definition, body contouring surgery aims to improve a client’s overall curvature by enhancing the skin and subcutaneous tissues of the body.
If you would like a quote for a surgical garment, simply use the form provided at the bottom of this page.
All body contouring shares one common factor, though: it requires a healthy recovery.
After all, the body needs to heal any tissues damaged during surgery as it adjusts to its new form.
Among the various instructions you may be given for your recovery, a common recommendation is the use of an elastic compression garment.
This device is intended to make your recovery easier and promote healing, which is especially important for larger, more invasive procedures.
What is a Compression Garment?
A surgical compression garment is a band woven from elastic and cloth, which stretches around an area of the body to apply constant, even pressure. These garments come in a variety of forms, appropriate to the body part that requires healing. If you have undergone a tummy tuck, for instance, the compression garment may take the form of a single band around your abdomen, briefs that extend upward, or a girdle. In any iteration, a compression garment is an important part of the healing process and offers numerous benefits to those who wear it as instructed.
How Long Should a Compression Garment Be Worn?
As with any post-surgical requirements, the duration of use for a compression garment is highly dependent upon your own recovery and your doctor’s instructions. Larger, more invasive procedures will require a longer timeline for your compression garment and recovery in general. The type of surgery may also determine the use of your garment since some techniques pose greater risks of complication. Typically, compression garments are worn for four to six weeks after surgery, but only your doctor can definitively tell you when to stop or resume certain activities throughout recovery.
The Benefits of a Compression Garment
A compression garment has the potential to improve nearly every facet of your recovery. First, by holding your bandages and surgical dressings in place, it ensures that incisions are kept clean in the early stages of healing, thereby reducing the risk of infection.
Additionally, a compression garment aids in the following areas:
– Improved comfort: Compression of the surgical area minimizes the movement of damaged tissues, helping patients remain comfortable while relaxing or moving.
– Improved circulation: Compression has long been used to improve circulation, whether post-injury or during physical activity.
– Reduced bruising and swelling: With improved circulation, fluid retention is minimized, making bruising and swelling from surgery dissipate sooner.
– Reduced risk of complication: After body contouring, patients face a risk of fluid building up around the surgical site, resulting in a hematoma, seroma, or lymphedema. Compression garments promote fluid passage, thereby reducing the risk of blockage and complication.
– Reduced risk of skin irregularities: There is always a slight chance of skin healing irregularly over underlying tissues, or those tissues lumping together for an uneven appearance. A compression garment exerts even pressure over the area, improving skin adhesion and healing.
These benefits are even more noteworthy for patients with a history of irregular scarring, healing complications, or other risks that may threaten their final results. By wearing your compression garment as directed, along with the rest of your doctor’s post-surgical instructions, you can enjoy a relatively easy and safe recovery.
Compression Garments for Men and Women
For your comfort and better support and results, we recommend you purchase a medical compression garment. The garments are a very high-quality brand from the USA.
It’s best to give 2 weeks notice in order to check the garments are available in your size.
The garments are high-quality and lightweight designed for your comfort, and include the following features:
- More support and stretch
- Softer and non-irritating to the skin
- Cooler and drier
- Easy to put on and remove
- Provides maximum comfort and support during recovery period
Body Garments Sizes:
NOTE: The size is always measured as the size you are before surgery.
– Measure waist (smallest part around your waist)
– Measure hips (the largest part around your hips)
– Bra (measure under your breast around your chest)
You will need to be properly measured and fitted by the vendor.
Female Surgical garments for Abdomen and Lower body Liposuction (Thighs and buttocks)
Female Garment Surgical Bra – Breast surgery
Male Garment Vest Gynaecomastia or Liposuction chest
Please email your current measurements to check sizes are in stock ready for your procedure and a quote for the garment style required for your surgery.
Request a quote for surgical compression garments
Please read the disclaimer here before submitting your enquiry.
Please take Special Note: This is a guide only please note that each surgeon will follow their own preferred surgery methods and post-operative care. Only use this as a guide and always check with your surgeon for their specific advice for your surgery.
Interested to find out more about Cosmetic Surgery treatments available in Colombo?
BOOKINGS MADE EASY
- Access to expert plastic surgeons in Colombo, who have;– Worked and trained locally and internationally
– Kept up to date with the latest medical aesthetic techniques
– Are fully qualified with many years of experience for cosmetic and aesthetic treatments
– Have international plastic surgeon memberships (ASPS)
- Find out more about your preferred treatment, before you meet the plastic surgeon when you enquire online
- Ease of making an appointment, with no payment required until the day of your consultation, at selected private clinics sessions.